Sunday 19 November 2017

Let us be brave!

Starting this post on Wednesday and hoping to have a finished result by the weekend...

After a successful bread, the very first item in the book, I am now moving to page 124, Christmas Buns, well you might ask why? and aren't you afraid that this will be a total sugary disaster, and my response is a simple shrug and a "because I can".

OK, it is now Sunday and I just finished cleaning the kitchen, had a good FaceTime session with my mom and off I go to the shops to buy the ingredients for the Christmas Buns.

So back from the shops with icing sugar, cranberries, apricot, brown sugar and a whole bunch of other stuff. In our house we shop once a week and hence today the fridge was absolutely empty. Lunch was whatever that was left over which included eggs, lettuce, pepper, ended up being nice really.  So as a result of having a very light lunch we ended up ordering a pizza and eating it outside, in the supermarket's parking lot. I don't know why, but my husband feels a bit more adventurous and its actually fun seeing people going towards their cars with a purpose and then shocked by us munching on our food...

The dough was very wet, and when I melted the butter in the milk, because I am generally an impatient person did not wait until it was lukewarm, so it was pretty hot to mix and then I remembered, there is this thing called spoon... adding the egg to the mixture happened after I was sure that the dough is cooled. After the dough was prepped, I kneaded for a good 10 minutes, it was very wet and had to really add flour at different stages of the kneading, then I left it in the corner of the kitchen to rise and rise it did.

2 hours later I ended up with a nice dough, without taking the air out, just laid it and rolled it and started adding the lovely christmassy ingredients.

















After everything was added, I started rolling the dough, I had to add a bit more flour as some bits were stock to the working surface.


and then cut the dough into 9 pieces and laid them over the tray ready for the second rise.




25 minutes later they were ready, I added the glaze, the recipe said apricot jam, but all I had in my fridge was orange jam and I reckon that is also very Christmassy, so added the glaze and let it cool down and then added the icing.  I guess my adding the icing skill is not very good. but it did the job I guess. Here's the finished product.

The taste was really good, so good that there are only 8 left now and I cannot wait until it is morning and I am planning to wake up 6:30 am to get my coffee and bun.




Will see what the book calls for next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment